National EV Infrastructure Program Demystified (Video Included!)

You’ve heard of BIL and NEVI by now, right? They mean great things for the clean tech revolution, the adoption of EVs in the US, and improving the EV driver and charging experience. First, let’s break down the acronyms: we all know EVs (electric vehicles); BIL = the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, which was passed in 2021; NEVI = the National EV Infrastructure program. The BIL includes the NEVI program, which allocates $5 billion over five years to all US States for EV infrastructure (cleantechies and EV drivers rejoice!). 

Recently, CleanTechnica’s CEO, Zachary Shahan, sat down with Asaf Nagler (VP of External Affairs, ABB E-mobility) and Zach Pierce (Climate Change Policy Advisor, Office of Governor Roy Cooper) to discuss the BIL and NEVI program, their requirements, and what they means for EV drivers and their charging experience in the US. They also went over the high quality EV charging programs states are developing.

Here’s the link to the video:

When Zachary asked our panelists about the specifics of National EV Infrastructure program funding, Asaf told us of the billions set aside for public charging infrastructure, “states can spend how they like as long as it’s consistent with NEVI guidelines.” He went on to say there is “also money for clean transit buses, electric school busses… states have a lot of things at their disposal from the federal government and a lot of states are putting in their own money, as well.” He also noted, the NEVI program is pushing some states, “to do things they otherwise would not have done, ” when it comes to EV infrastructure. 

Zach Pierce said in North Carolina, they are “taking a wide look at all of the opportunities…we need to make sure the resources are actually getting to the communities.” He noted that “many programs require a state or local match and we want to make sure that local governments aren’t leaving a lot of federal dollars on the table, let’s say 80% or 90% of an investment, just because they cant’ get the remaining 10%.” 

Listen in to these important points and more in the webinar recording earlier this month. You may also check out the resources below for more information:

ABB’s NEVI guide

Joint Office of Energy + Transportation Program

Thanks to everyone who joined live and brought such thoughtful questions and comments. Whether you watched live or not, if you have any additional questions for our panelists, please email [email protected] or [email protected]

[embedded content]

This article is supported by ABB E-Mobility.



Appreciate CleanTechnica’s originality and cleantech news coverage? Consider becoming a CleanTechnica Member, Supporter, Technician, or Ambassador — or a patron on Patreon.


Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.



This post has been syndicated from a third-party source. View the original article here.

Related Articles

Back to top button